Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic, typically progressive disease involving damage to the sheaths of nerves cells in the brain and spinal cord
Multiple sclerosis (MS) involves an immune-mediated process in which an abnormal response of the body’s immune system is directed against the central nervous system (CNS). The CNS is made up of the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves.
Within the CNS, the immune system causes inflammation that damages myelin— the fatty substance that surrounds and insulates the nerve fibers — as well as the nerve fibers themselves, and the specialized cells that make myelin.
- When myelin or nerve fibers are damaged or destroyed in MS, messages within the CNS are altered or stopped completely.
- Damage to areas of the CNS may produce a variety of neurological symptoms that will vary among people with MS in type and severity.
- The damaged areas develop scar tissue which gives the disease its name – multiple areas of scarring or multiple sclerosis.
- The cause of MS is not known, but it is believed to involve genetic susceptibility, abnormalities in the immune system and environmental factors that combine to trigger the disease.
- People with MS typically experience one of four disease courses (types of MS). There are over a dozen treatments to help modify the MS disease process.
For DRUG INFORMATION, click here.
About 1 million people in the United States are living with Multiple Sclerosis.
Prior Authorization Support
Quite often, prescription insurance plans require your doctor to obtain a prior authorization for speciality medications. Basically, this means that the medication to treat your condition must be pre-approved before you can receive it.
The good news is that Premier Pharmacy’s RAPIDx Prior Authorization Program works tirelessly with your doctor to identify and gather the necessary information. In doing so, we free up some time for your doctor and care team so that they can focus on giving you the care and attention you need.
Financial Assistance Support
Specialty medication therapy can be costly even with insurance coverage. Our experienced and knowledgeable team specialists help patients gain access to funding to help make medication costs more affordable. Some available resources include:
Government funded programs
Disease specific foundations
Manufacturer assistance programs
For uninsured patients we assist with enrollment in manufacturer sponsored free drug programs when available.
Medication & Multiple Sclerosis Information
Multiple Sclerosis Medication List: NATIONAL MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS SOCIETY
Multiple Sclerosis: MAYO CLINIC
Text JOIN to 97595
Receive text alerts on your prescription status’ and shipping updates.
Have the following information ready, we’ll need:
- cell phone number
- email address
By enrolling in PPS text alerts, you agree to the text alert terms and conditions
Online and in-person local support groups are available for people with cancer and their family or friends. Support groups provide a safe place to share your feelings and to help with the emotional aspect of living with multiple sclerosis. Various support groups, online, in-person and on an app on your smart phone, are available to suit your needs.Some available resources are:
Premier Pharmacy has highly trained staff, who specializes in multiple sclerosis, available 24/7/365. Our Multiple Sclerosis Team is dedicated to helping you from the minute we receive your prescription and throughout your journey.
We are here for you and will:
- Partner you with a Treatment Advocate who will serve as your go to person and whom you will have direct access to
- Work directly with your doctor and insurance to get pre-authorization for your medication so you can start as quickly as possible
- Secure funding from manufactures or organization to help cover the cost of the medication
- Provide education on your medication and diagnosis